Our animals are purpose bred for high performance and greater prime lamb production.
- Australian bred for Australian conditions.
- Resilience means they are less susceptible to worms, disease and problems associated with tough climatic conditions.
- We run all our ewes under commercial conditions and stocking rates (19 to 22 DSE/ha depending on season).
- Our lambs have a faster growth rate meaning a greater mean weight at an earlier age.
- Our rams produce highly fertile ewes. Weaning 150% is achievable if nutrition is managed.
- Our ewe lambs mature early and can be joined at around 7+ months of age.
- Our lambs have tight skins that consistently achieve the top skin rates.
- Our animals have good round shape, sound confirmation and moderate adult weights.
- Our lambs don’t require mulesing.
Qualities of Cloven Hills Ewes:
- Moderately sized ewes producing excellent weaning and post weaning weights.
- Highly Fertile adding significant dollars per ewe annually.
- Dooers- hardy, we cull ewes that don’t hold their condition score (CS). We record CS through EID when stock are handled.
- Ease of Lambing.
- Excellent mothering and survival.
- High milk production to drive lamb weights.
- Early maturing for hogget mating.
- Commercial ewes are turning off approximately 85-90% of their body weight at weaning, 12 weeks.
Qualities of Cloven Hills Rams:
- Sound conformation.
- Rapid growth rates
- Very fertile
- Selected on type
- 70% culling rate.
- Simplicity- enabling you to focus on being more productive.
- Fewer biosecurity risks- the one thing you can’t insure for.
- You how replacements will perform & can cut that expense from budget.
- Having a solid and simple base enables great control of our flock.
- Flexibility and capacity to be responsive to the market and change.
- Continually improve genetic quality so that each generation is better than the last.